So here is what I was thinking: I know that the first few weeks are going to be a little clunky, so for our first meet, I wanted to make sure I gave them enough time to make their decisions and discuss options for combat, but not spend too much time on the nitpicking of rules, making it more of a drag than fun. I think that we managed to balance that out just fine.
Our rugged adventurers: Abélard de la Sonnerie, the curious bard; Alric Anklebiter, the husky barbarian; and Biff Jesus, the nomadic sorcerer; all met at this place called The Soggy Bottle. The Soggy Bottle is the inn closest to the docks in the port town of Stonesong. Stonesong (See, it's that little dot at the tip) is
located in the Cape of Sirens, which is part of the Western Kingdoms of the expansive Elgrian Empire. Every PC came to The Cape of Sirens for a different reason, but there is no doubt that the rumors of mystery, intrigue, and adventure were a big draw.Alric was stationed at the bar, receiving dirty looks from the Bottle's ample-bodied and amply haired proprietress, Salty Sneed. Abelard was entertaining some sailors while Biff looked on, equipped in his jedi-style robe. Suddenly, a drunken thug approached Biff (whom the PCs later learnt was named Roscoe) and accused him of owing money to somebody named Dom Flario. Of course, a fight broke out, and our guys immediately got their first taste of combat.
Alric didn't even fly into a rage, but started hacking at the thugs like Patrick Bateman through prostitutes. Biff managed to crowd control and also do some damage. Abelard made some attempts for combat, but was incapacitated by a rogueish thug early in the round. He could only lie helpless on a table, and he eventually fell unconscious from blood loss. I was actually rolling quite poorly, except for the time my rogue critted and shanked the crap out of Abelard. Eventually, Alric and Biff were able to take the guys down, with the aid of an angry Salty Sneed.
Lessons Learnt:
1. The power of "Grease." Grease is a level one spell. It can either be targetted or area of effect, and can severely cripple your enemies rendering them pretty useless if they fail a reflex save. Biff incapacitated Roscoe and another thug for a round with this spell, saving his, and possibly Abelard's, lives. The party also discovered that it can render their allies useless. When Alric went over to take a swing at a greased up thug, he ran right into the area of effect, and consequently fell on his dwarven arse for a round.
2. Critical Threats. Alric rolled a natural twenty, which translates into a critical threat. He then confirmed his critical hit with a roll of 17, successfully decapitating his enemy with massive two handed damage. Criticals are powerful things.
3. Loot. Since this was their first game, as a DM I felt compelled to explain the importance of looting. They were about to walk out of that tavern without checking the bodies of their attackers, and doing so, they would have missed a small vial of liquid that one of the sneaky thugs was carrying. I'm pretty sure I won't have to remind them again, and whether I will have to will not be an issue, because I won't.
After this, the town guard showed up, lead by the Headsworn Guard, Frandrew Oakensword. Oakenshield was pleased that they got rid of the thugs, but also let them know that due to the violent nature of incapacitating them, (The thugs were all lying dead in pools of blood) that they would have to do him a favor to have this scuffle swept under the rug. After Abelard was picked up and healed by a cleric in the guard, the crew set out to meet Lord Smythlei, the ruling noble on the Cape of Sirens.
The crew doesn't know much about the Smythlei family, only that they have claims to this territory that trace back hundreds of years. The hardy adventurers were brought to Castle Stonetop and were introduced to Lord Smythlei, a portly man with a comb-over and chubby hands. They discovered that not only was his daughter, Ivella, to be married next week to the son of the Lord of the Fingers, but that she had run off that morning, insistent on stopping her upcoming nuptials. Generous man that Smythlei is, he offered the party fifty gold each to track her down, and bring her alive.
Earlier in the evening, I had to explain the importance of looting. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find them ready and eager to negotiate for more of a reward without prompt. Biff was the first one to open his mouth, asking for more money. I told him to make a diplomacy check, and he did. Unfortunately, he rolled very poorly, and as it turned out, when Biff opened his mouth to speak to Lord Smythlei, he accidentally spit right on his face. Smythlei was visibly grossed out. Smooth talking Abelard attempted to put things right, and used his verbal prowess to try and smooth things out. However, before he could even open his mouth, he tripped over his own two feet and awkwardly stumbled. (He rolled a 1, making his diplomacy very low on a check that was moderately difficult) You can imagine my chuckles, and the laughs of the rest of the party. Alric just gave the guy a thumbs up, Apparently he didn't want to risk anything with his 3 charisma. I do commend them on their effort. They're playing like veterans already! That's where we wrapped for the night.
Lessons Learnt:
1. Rolling a 1. Traditionally, rolling a 1 means a critical failure in combat. However, there are times when rolling a one for a skill check can also have quasi-disastrous results. I don't think all DMs do this, but I do. It doesn't have to be life-threatening, but can provide entertainment and general hilarity. I see rolling a 1 in a non-combat situation is almost like something out of the PCs control happened to make this go so badly. It was very fun to have a crew understand he impact of a low roll early on in the game.
2. Whatever you say, your character is saying. There were a few times when Evan just talked aloud without thinking when it came to character interaction, and it influenced the game as if it were Biff saying it. I think it might take a little bit for him to make this adjustment. Much to my happiness.
I expect to cover more storyline in the future. Combat took a little bit of time because everyone is just starting to get the hang of it. I'm not in a hurry. I know at least one of my PCs had a good time. Evan sent me a text this week saying that he bought his first set of dice, but he couldn't decide, so he bought two. I officially have a convert.
Nothing like making people talk in character the entire time to get them into loads of trouble. *chuckles*
ReplyDeletePC: "Why, we can just pretend to help this guy out and then when he's not looking knife him in the back."
NPC: "Hmm, that's a very interesting plan. Perhaps I'll summon my minions to kill you now."