Monday, February 15, 2010

Popping cherries: Breaking in table-top virgins

Let me start off by saying I haven't been playing DND for very long, relatively speaking. In fact, for a majority of my life, I was a closeted roleplayer; making fun of people who played table top games, including public(albeit friendly) verbal tongue lashings of some acquaintances I met along the way. I feel a tad guilty about this, and a few years ago I played DND for the first time. After the first session, I was hooked. This past summer, I tried DMing for the first time. I had a blast, though due to some unfortunate events I had to stop, and eventually move to a place far from my regular gaming crew(s). I remembered the words a friend said to me long ago, "I didn't know anyone who played, so I just got my friends to play." Well, I took his advice, and last week my gaming virgins rolled characters.

Since I am the only one in the entire crew of us who has really played, I've decided to keep things relatively simple and slow. Explaining the rules of that giant bible: AKA the Player's Handbook, can be kind of tough and overwhelming to the fresh bloods. It was not long ago that I was a noob, and I can remember the confusion as if it were yesterday. I have tried to only explain the basics, as to not turn them off from the complexities. (Gaming, like sex, is not good if your prospects are frigid or confused). This was the game-plan for last week, and some rules that I have already set.

First off, we are playing v. 3.5. I never bothered to learn 4e, and from what I have heard/read about it, I'm pretty sure I'm not interested. The bad thing about playing 3.5 is that the books are out of print, and therefore hard to find. I went to Mind Games, the local gaming shop here (I was very psyched to see it was still open, though their website could use a bit of work), and while I couldn't find any PHBs (as you can see, they are selling at Amazon USED for 47 bucks a pop), I did manage to find a 3.5 DMG! Whoohoo! I also went ahead and bought myself a whole bunch of dice. I know that soon enough, my manvirgins will get sets of their own, and there is nothing more inspiring to buy your own than seeing someone else's massive collection! I must be the only lady in the world who uses a makeup pouch to carry her D&D dice... I hope they are going to be able to get their own PHBs, as of right now they are using mine. As for books, I have restricted them to the PHB only, and suggested some good starter classes. I did not restrict alignments, and I have decided that if some of them are fast learners, we can progress into prestige classes. I told them they did not have to tell the other players what their alignment was. However, they decided that it was OK to share.

First off, I had them roll their attributes. Here is how I like to roll them:
You roll four d6. Subtract the smallest roll. Write that number down. Repeat 5 more times. If you like your set, keep it. If you don't like your first set, you discard it, and roll your attributes one more time using the same rules. If you don't like your set after the second roll, you get a third try. However, the third try, you only roll three d6. Whatever the result of that roll is your number. Do that five more times. You do not get to choose between sets of attributes. Once a set is discarded, it is discarded forever. Sometimes this results in low attribute scores. Oh well. Make it work.

So that is what we did. For our first meet, there were four of us total: Andy, Evan, Todd, and me, of course. None of them had exceptionally great rolls. They were mediocre to good. Todd's were average, and he decided to take the gamble and reroll, much to his dismay, and my glee, he ended up with attributes that look like what you see above.

Yes, he rolled a 16, 11, 11, 7, 11, 5. Ho ho ho. All in all, the rolls aren't that bad. 16 is a good score! But might I direct your attention to the Charisma attribute. Yes, that is a negative 4 charisma modifier you see there. See, my friend Todd's character is Alric Anklebiter, the dwarf barbarian. Dwarves get a penalty to their charisma, the sweaty, unattractive mouth-breathers that they are. Needless to say, I am very excited to put this party in fun NPC negotiation situations. So this is what the campaign is going to start with:

Player: Todd
Character name: Alric Anklebiter
Race: Dwarf
Class: Barbarian
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Alric has a troubled past. He and his wife were ambushed by orcs. She was killed, and he fought them all, nearly dying. He was saved by someone, but his face is eternally scarred. He blames Kord for his loss in life, and has decided spend the rest of his life killing, caring not whether he lives or dies.

Player: Evan
Character name: Biff Jesus (pronounced Haysoos)
Race: Human
Class: Sorcerer
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Evan is the least experienced of the crew, and my oldest friend. He at first wanted to be a wizard, but decided on sorcerer because I think it is a great class for a first timer. As long as he gets to carry a fancy sword, dress like a jedi, and kill people, he's gonna have a blast. He's also the only member of the crew to have any charisma abilities, making him he spokesman for the party, and possibly the glue that holds them together.

Player: Andy
Character name: Rick
Race: Human
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Lawful Evil Ranger Rick. Andy made an interesting choice right from the beginning, and I think that between Alric and Rick, I'm going to have my hands full with some crazy decision making and interesting party dynamic. Rick also has an unusual backstory going on. He is the surviving man of a conjoined twin. Apparently, they were separated, but part of his twin's brain stayed with Rick. Derg, as his brother is named, often argues with Rick. We're going to have to see where this multiple personality thing is going to go. So much for keeping it simple....

I've been tossing around ideas for a campaign. The first few meets are going to go slowly, and that is to be expected. I read somewhere that I should try a few practice encounters, to show them how combat is going to go. I might do that, but I probably won't. Or, it will be a practice encounter that will count for the overall storyline for the campaign. I'll post more as the campaign progresses. Don't want to give anything away!

1 comment: